A Life's Pursuit: The Art of Goodbye ... Parting with Passion

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Art of Goodbye ... Parting with Passion




Some say the most stressful things in life involve "loss" or "leaving" or "being alone." I heard a great quote from Quincy Jones that went, "You can tell a man's age by how much he resists change." Hmmm.... I look outside and I see that the season is about to change. I can look in the mirror and see that it has already changed. I have often responded with "only change doesnt change." I suppose it doesn't bother me that I look older or that I will be 40 this year or that any number of things in my life are always subject to change at any time. Why do we shrink from telling or enjoying our true ages? What is the mystique of looking like something that you are not...fooling everyone who looks? Why are we so fascinated with youth? I certainly wouldn't go back to high school or college without the mind I have now; which would change how I saw everything then. Perhaps some things are best left to memory. I prefer to enjoy the moment...to be 100% where I am dealing with the lot life has dealt at this very moment. What's wrong with that? Yes, if it's sadness, then let me have it all. If it's disaster; then I will deal with it and go on. What doesn't kill you may make you stronger; or it may just mame you for life. Either way, it won't be soon forgotten. It will change you.

For what ever reason, I have gotten good at goodbyes. Everything changes. Perhaps we will meet again at another time or on different shores. That remains to be seen. It is the energy of the NOW that creates a biosynthetic log in our minds including all the sights, sounds, smells and emotions of each significant "moment" we experience. The art of goodbye involves accepting that things are going to change, committing to the things that won't and doing what it takes with what's left. I keep a special piano piece in my head for just such occassions that I might be enjoying my own company on a lonely country road as the wind walks through the grass around me or I am leaving someone whose friendship I have enjoyed immensely or it's just one of those days I want to be alone. Everythings seems better set to music. Try watching a movie with no music; especially drama or horror; it gets pretty boring before it gets hokey. The majesty of a wide blue sky kissed with monsterous billowing bolders of clouds with an occassional bird in the distance is the music of eternity. The howl of the wind, the shadows of the light and the orchestra of nature remind us that the seasons do change. We are only temporary flowers that wilt as time passes; even the world itself. NOW is always the time to do whatever you are waiting for a special occassion to do. Accept and embrace in 100% intervals.




No comments: