A Life's Pursuit: Cranium Skillet: The Grease of Perception

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cranium Skillet: The Grease of Perception








It's amusing to watch ignorance in its natural habitat....



Its a line from my friend, Tom. I knew it was great as soon as I read it on his IM (instant messenger). I have witnessed several situations that embody this statement. Truth be told, I have probably been guilty of it myself a time or two (ONLY :D). Pressure, stress, fatigue and deadlines tend to bring out the best of the worst in us. Occassionally we can recapture the animal once it escapes; but seldom can we erase the deep scars left by unfettered tallons across the lifeless body of the tiny rabbit cold and motionless before us. (How's that for an image; but I know, some of them have it coming...agreed).


caged minds

Even free minds are captive to their perceptions...



I remember as a kid doing the experiment with the homemade volcano. You build up this large hill with a hole in the center. At the bottom of that hole you have baking soda. Everyone's anticipation is high as you approach with the last ingredient responsible for your supreme entertainment, vinegar. Interesting that the addition of this bitter acidic to this quiet pure powder would create such an "eruption." The same is not untrue for the souls of men. What is the acidic? Its anything from unforgiveness to ego; the list is endless. The only difference is that we try to keep the hole covered, to keep ourselves true to our projections, to suppress our flaws and wounds....but that takes you to another experiment. Blow up a thin balloon and tie it off. Heat the exterior by any means and as the gasses expand, what happens in the absence of a release....POP! Yes, I too enjoy being a spectator to someone "else's" moment. It would be a moment of supreme bliss if not for the reflections that come shortly afterwards; arent we "selfish?" Glad that wasnt "me" "if that had happened to me, I would have..." "I hope "I" never..." and the list goes on. We dont want to be seen at our limits, beyond our controls, beyond our senses and yet in contradiction, it is precisely what we crave. Certain situations we want nothing more than to be emptied or fully vent; or be so ravaged by a moment that "it wasnt our fault," "we couldnt help it" yada yada yada...u know exactly what I mean.

2 comments:

Andrew Stanfield said...

Sure do know what you mean. There comes a time when we've all wanted an excuse to come along so we can get away with something that we knew was wrong. I don't know if there's a trick to get out of that habit except noticing it...the practice of perception (of course, that assumes people want to get out it). Great blog. Glad to have you back.

Linda Russell said...

Even Free Minds...
great quote
Everyone has an agenda...
Everyone thinks they have limits...
We are usually quicker to think we have limits on what we can do wrong rather than right...
such are our illusions...
limited to what we have experienced so far....