A Life's Pursuit: I'll Be Back; Lessons from the Terminator

Monday, February 19, 2007

I'll Be Back; Lessons from the Terminator

Terminator 2





There are very few movies that I watch more than once and even fewer I watch more than twice. One of my favorites, Terminator II, I have seen more than six times. If I happen to flip by it, I am always persuaded to stop and watch. governor of CAI respect what the actor behind the character has accomplished too. Afterall, isn't he the "American Dream?" He comes from a foreign country (does what it takes to become legal citizen), finds his gifting, makes no excuses about his condition, works his way to the top of bodybuilding, works his way to the top of action-heroism, marries into one of the most powerful political families and becomes the governor of California, USA. Has America not always been about somebody with very little means working hard and never giving up until they attain their dreams? Everybody smiles at the nice-looking, rich guy/girl; they only step on or ignore anything less until they are forced by the power of the success to notice the tiny human they discarded. That's real life.


Anyway, Arnold's story is beyond impressive. He has had some really great lines down through his career and all these sort of things. There is something about that story that just rings to my core. What I like about the Terminator, he does what he must to survive and to protect those in his care; even at the risk/need of self termination. As the terminator, he was the perfect father; he would never come home drunk and beat his kid. As the terminator, he was the perfect protector; he would always carry out his mission and not be distracted by his own needs or desires. As the Terminator, he understood in spite of all his power, the power of love; that he did sacrafice himself for humanity and its future. One of his greatest lines was "I'll be back!" Just cool movie stuff! But wait, doesn't that story seem familiar...who was that other guy with the cross?


Is our enemy not a shape-shifter, a manipulator of our wants, fears, desires and lusts? Is he not a sworn enemy of the Terminator?
I cannot take credit for this realization. I heard a great sermon Sunday using that infamous line, "I'll be back!" by one of my great pastors, Tim Johnson, formerly of the Washington Redskins. It was worth getting the tape and worth remembering for the future. P.S. This Wednesday nite at 7pm will also be a hum-dinger! If you're close, drop in....casual...jeans and shirt. :D




No comments: