A Life's Pursuit: They Joy in Creating Life

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

They Joy in Creating Life






The last couple of days have been spend digging, replanting, and removing trees and shrubs. It is amazing how far down some of the roots go and equally astonishing how shallow some of the roots are that support fairly large plants. Since I suffered from hail damage; it is now time to get the new roof, gutters, windows, siding etc. done; which begs the question, 'what else can be done for "curb appeal"? We have all these new flowers to plant and moved around shrubs and even trees.

The front of our home has a japanese maple that is gorgeous...so some hesitation goes into transplanting it. But at long last, it happened last night. I have to confess; it was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Eventually, I had to cut the roots to get the tree free. After digging another hole two feet out from the old one, I replanted and watered the blushing maple.

I have several beautiful plants to put in the ground; but the roofers are coming. I don't think I want to take the chance of losing all my hard work to tar and boots. It is very theraputic to get down in the dirt and dig/scratch, moving large muscle groups while envisioning how a project will turn out by the end. It's kinda like blank paper or canvas before you dare make that first stroke.



Hmm....dirt on my desk? ....flowers, planting, digging—when do I have time for that? No wonder they call me metrosexual.

1 comment:

Joel said...

"Shallow Roots"--Now there is a whole blog to itself....