A Life's Pursuit: Silence is Golden; but NOT now!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Silence is Golden; but NOT now!




Its Tuesday and its another skillet burner here in Music City. All and all its been a rather average day. Nothing strange has happened and nothing truly noteworthy either. In fact, the one thing that eventually happened wasnt that spectacular either.

There is a beauty in silence. I am a student of less is more. In a culture so hyped up on over doing, over achieving and over criticising its easy to lose track of oneself. The beauty of the symphony is the silence in between the writhing notes and cords. If given a choice, silence is probably my first opt. As with most things, there are exceptions. One sure fire exception is silence when I turn my car key in the ignition.... That is a silence that roars volumes of despair; especially when its plus ninety degrees outside and you're the last to leave. My 2003 Mercury Mariner didnt utter a sound when I turned the key. In fact it ran fine when I went out for lunch. Somewhere between lunch and four pm; something changed. Either way, silence is golden; having your battery tested and discovering its fine is priceless. Unfortunately getting to the bottom of the problem wont be.



1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

I visited a monastery in Kentucky that continually extolled the virtues of silence, withdrawing into yourself and finding out what you truly thought...in essence who you really were. Great experience, and one you can't have with noise- even beautiful noise- echoing in your ears.