A Life's Pursuit: Turn This Bridge Out!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Turn This Bridge Out!

Tuesday was another exciting night!




REWIND: So here we are at Tuesday. Tonite should be very interesting. In our house-hunting antics, we encountered some ministry folks who have night service under the bridge in downtown Nashville. Of course, that raised an eyebrow and I inquired for more details. "They weren't looking for voyeurs, there will be things to do," the slender but happy man replied while smiling from the side of his mouth. "Good," I retorted with my own smirk, "that sounds real to me. I'm in." I was told to be prepared for anything; miracles, drunks and wonder! Dress down and prepare to serve and share...what a cutline. Anyway, I am sure it will be food for a note-worthy blog later. I did find this great blog on Nashville Under the Bridge, I think.


It was another amazing Tuesday nite for the Bridge Ministry folks. I knew I had committed to going to the two guys I prayed with the week before. Why did it look gloomy most of the day? Why did rain appear to be a sure thing? Surely they would understand if I bailed or even worse; just didnt show. Besides, they probably wont be there anyway if they even remember me. These were the thoughts that taunted my mind all day. It had been a long work day and yes, "home" sounded pretty good to me. But maybe that was just it. The bridge or the tnets of Tent City were home to someone. Realizing that some of these folks actually walked a couple of miles just to be there knowing it would be dark when they walked back was humbling. Who was I to make an excuse of being tired or wanting to be warm and relaxed. As the evening kicked off, the singers piped out their voices as the warm food crawled into the stomachs of the listeners, making comfort for the message to come. It is hard to guess which was the dessert or the main dish; everyone had different needs. One thing was for sure, noone would leave hungry either physically or spiritually. As I listened to the soul-stirring songs I couldnt help but notice the sound of the cars and trucks going by overhead. I wondered how ironic it was that people on their way somewhere were driving over people on their way somewhere beneath them. A bridge is always required to join to estranged locations. The good news tells of Christ being that bridge between God and man; but you already know that.





As it turns out, one of my guys did come. Perry made it back and had good news to tell. I watched the hope flicker in his eyes as the chilly wind glazed our faces. I listened to how the progress of our week apart had unfolded. Indeed, he was quite hopeful and the news sounded very promising. In fact, he had shared his news with others who had confirmed that he wasnt dreaming...this really was good news. His friend that didnt make it had also sent words with him of good developments. I was happy to see them at least looking and considering a new direction and poise. I met another guy from North Carolina who now lives in the projects. We chatted on for 30 minutes. I noticed that some were receiving prayers and it had been apparent that he knew his scripture pretty well. I asked him what he wanted. He replied he didnt know. I responded with "then you wont miss it when you dont have it." We chuckled. I looked deep into him and asked again with, "your intelligence tells me that you DO know what you want and you know what the scriptures say of two agreeing on something in the spirit." I watched him flinch with a slight laugh. Yes, he softly replied, I want to be married again with a nice house and maybe a kid." We laughed together through the wind and tears, agreeing that this was quite possible. He replied that he believed but I retorted Faith without works is dead; you must act! Start small, build your momentum and you will go faaarrrr grasshopper," as I he smiled at my Karate Kid pose.



It was a tremendously powerful evening, packed with friends, family and fellowship. Cool doesn't even begin to describe it all. I cant even convey all the surprises of the evening. The coolest part is how things that seem perfectly incidental to us are all a part of the big plan masterfully crafted by one far greater than we. Blog BONUS: I found this site while seaching for information and pics of Nashville's Homeless. Its very well done.

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

Sounds like a fantastic night. I hope they get what they need.