A Life's Pursuit: 17 Syllables of Fridaiku: Tomato Infatuation

Friday, July 30, 2010

17 Syllables of Fridaiku: Tomato Infatuation

biting flesh
Image courtesy of Thayer Allyson Gowdy/Getty Images




It’s Friday again and you know what that means....Friday Haikus; or as some have become comfortable, Fridakus! The cohort and I continue in the tomato fest at least just one more time. We’ve had fun with it. Every morning, I water our huge tomato plant standing 6 feet just off the steps of my back deck. I try to only water it at the base leaving the leaves as dry as possible. The leaves are trimmed often so the sun can get to each tomato and hopefully cut down on the possibility of tomato worms. So far, so good. I actually hated tomatoes since I was a kid. Something about eating them always caused a gag reflex until as of late. Sure, I could stomach them on a sandwich or sparaticly in a salad. I had grown up watching them being eaten like apples, just adding salt and biting with running red juices chasing gravity everywhere. With age, I have become wiser. The benefits outweigh my grammar-school dislike. But enough about all that...Les Fridaku de la Tomato Eroutique!


red passions
Image courtesy of lovingchaos.com




Smack the red, tight skin,
blushing and plump
with anticipation of more.


Ruby smooth bulges
basking in July sun,
tanning a deeper red.


Firm and round,
wrapped in a delicious aroma,
defying green worm’s neglect.


Stout and green, swing tomatoes,
dangling their allure
for frying later.


Thick sweet odor,
crawl through my nostils,
parting my lips for my first bite.

No comments: