A Life's Pursuit: Laughing Like I Was The Child I Was

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Laughing Like I Was The Child I Was

laughing children


Somehow the week has climbed up to Wednesday. In spite of being extremely busy, I promised to squeeze in a blog or two; afterall, what is life if you never get to do anything you want. I am a “work to live” not a “live to work” person. Life is such a great thing that it should at least be lived to its fullest. I have absolutely nothing against hard work or staying focused; but it shouldn’t have to ALWAYS be that way. Besides, creatives need that break from the PC structure of the world.

snow fun children


While I am definitely a sun child, I love snow too. That is provided there is enough to make a monumental snowman and work/driving for a week is out of the question. I miss the snows of old. Maybe Al Gore’s on to something. When I was a kid, snows would be thick, moist and high; now, we’re lucky just to get a good thunderstorm. Watching the children sled and have snowball fights de-ages all of us. That was the stuff of magic. Don’t you remember how much fun and how little the chill of the air actually mattered. The joy immeasureable from the act of being in the moment and company with whom vs what I was getting out of something or who would owe me later. We seem to lose such abandon as adults. Kids understand that they don’t have to understand; maybe that is the secret we rob ourselves as we age.

laughing children


Nonetheless, as the memories of laughing children fade, I resign to have an excellent year of unforetold blessings, laughs, joys, service to others and maybe even a few tears. I think I will remember that everything doesn’t have to be understood; the whys are not so important as the you-wont-believe-what-happened-next moments. The beauty of magic is that it entertains even the skeptic. A doubter loves to doubt even if it forces him to never take another step in comfort.

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

What's weird is that if adults do act that way, without abandon, we tell them to grow up. I guess that's both a good and a bad thing. It depends.