A Life's Pursuit: The Black & Shawn White of a Champion: Goldfish Out of the Bowl

Friday, February 19, 2010

The Black & Shawn White of a Champion: Goldfish Out of the Bowl



I must admit, I like being completely mystified; even better when something can ONLY be described as jaw-dropping! If you watched Shawn White’s performance during the snowboarding portion of the Olympics; then you know exactly how inept these adjectives perform. I watched his first run, I was already shocked by the superb execution of various jumps, the height of those jumps and the execution of pure grace and style. I really enjoy watching these kinds of sports but certainly am not some die-hard follower; but I’ve heard of Tony Hawk and Shawn White. In fact, I even met him around three years ago here in Nashville. I thought he was a cool kid that made me think of a young good-looking, fun-loving Carrot Top (before the steroids). I was struck by his openness and accessibility to the cohorts and fans around him.


Considering that he had already won the gold for the Americans, most people would just take the bow and accept the award with a smirk. Not this guy! The next performance I witnessed made me consider having a DVR so I could replay it over and over. Long after he had defied gravity with all the grace of any supreme skydancer; his tricks ripped the fabric of reality! That crazy double corkscrew whatever left me gasping for air from my living room couch. Honestly, I like watching a good crash; but the thought never even had time to form. The lack of oxygen had me glued to the screen watching what had to have been impossible. He ROCKED IT! Not only had he won, but done it with unquestionable defiance of resting on any laurel. He pulled out all the stops all the way. The best part — he didn’t even have to take the risk. There in lies the mark of a champion who LOVES what he does and LOVES who he is. Other than the agony of defeat opening (for those of us old enough to remember that played every Olympics), that moment will be burned into the powder of my memory for many years. It was one those moments that marks time for a long time after. Well done, Shawn. That my friend was completely GNARLY RADD!

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

I'm sorry I missed that. It seems like an incredibly inventive sport and/or hobby. Hope to try it someday.