A Life's Pursuit: Humming Through Monday

Monday, July 27, 2009

Humming Through Monday

foggy road



Sunny Monday in July here in the Music City. The morning was coated in thick fog like nostril mucus crawling down the back of a sleeping throat. I popped on my flood lights watching the curves of the road materialize much slower than the speed I was traveling. It was all good. I was on schedule which meant I was ahead of time so I could stop at Hardees and really kick off the front of this week proper. A smoked sausage and frisco ham and egg accompanied on the weave between taillights and highway lines. No, it probably wasnt healthy; but it sho' was good. Breakfast really is the best meal of the day or the most important — so they say.




by the artist Caravaggio


My mind is full of lists of things to do by the deadlines that are already inked in. Meanwhile 8 hrs per day are already aloted...I think I need a longer day. It's OK, I've got a blessed life and any day I forget that, memories slap my face back to reality. But why must we always want more? is that part of the human DNA that we can never override? I think back to Paul the Apostle who was capable of happiness in any situation; but that doesnt mean he didnt want more either; just that he was happy. But thats a completely different subject for another blog not for you.


hummingbirds


It was a great weekend despite being filled with tasks. I think I have cronic plantitus. Somehow I keep finding one more inch to plant something new within. In fact, Lowes has become an addiction. They have this plant hospital section, sometimes more like plant cemetary and I wont name myself but they come back from the dead (oh put your pitch forks down already, just a figure of speech). At pennies on the dollar, these plants just require a little extra tlc and whammo, strong like bull. The humming birds have gotten very comfortable with me. They are funny smart little birds. When I am watering flowers, they zoom around close and freeze in midair and watch me for six seconds then give their best Speedy Gonzolas screech and zoom away. Ironicly I first thought it was just because I was close to their feeders, but they started coming around to the front yard where there are no feeders. They are so amazingly tiny and fast. I have had to train my self not to flinch when they buzz by or when the bees swarm around me while Im watering their flowering pedistals. They are not there to attack so long as I dont move quickly or aggressively. I guess the same is true for me. I don't sting first, just hardest.




I cant wait to see the new blossoms the sunshine and heat of the day will produce. Despite my daily watering, the plants still prefer the rain. With the sweet aroma of colorful flowers, two Topsy Turvy tomato plants induce a hint of tasty vegetables to the evening breeze. (Personally I hate tomatoes, but they say they are good for you; so I force myself to eat them despite knowing its really just the enjoyment from watching metamorphasize from seed to vegetable.) There is just something magical about the aromas of life....

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

Looking at things differently always helps me on those interminably long Mondays. Caravaggio was one of the best at that. His paintings have a unique perspective and an almost twisted variety of things happening in them. Always wanting more is a part of us. Whether ingrained from days around the campfire wishing we could store food or if it’s part of the DNA given us, you can always count on that aspect of our character: we want more than we have.