A Life's Pursuit: The Monkey Always Follows the Banana

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Monkey Always Follows the Banana

Monkey on My Back

I like simple truths. Whether its the old country guy sitting on the front porch, the blue collar worker who just supports his family without any fanfare or the occassional idiot who is indescriminately showered with a moment of nirvanna, the simple truth is the essence of whats left at the bottom of the pot of boiling water. One of the things I have always admired about my father is his ability to cut to the chase, wrap it up short, hold the lettuce and mayo, etc. He has an artform to being brief but enlightening.

Monkey on My Back


After an accident that was not my "fault" due to someone running a red light, he responded with "just cause the light's green, don't mean go." Yeh, at first that wasn't met with any joy, thrill or approval...but upon further examination; it was potent. This day's reflection comes from a coworker asking me about a project that has been looming for a year on my back, occassionally even taking food from my very own hand; an oversized monkey not nearly worth all its trouble. Today I threw that monkey onto someone else's shoulders with some foundational questions — tossing the banana, if you will. What do you know, I'm 50lbs lighter for at least a couple of days.

Monkey on My Back

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

Nothing feels better than a burden cut loose. Enjoy it.