A Life's Pursuit: Friday Unfixed and ReWrapped

Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Unfixed and ReWrapped

think break


Well the blog of a thousand pages always begins with a single word. Its Friday and I have kept my head down all week trying to keep the light inside and concealed. Sometimes that just happens or is the culmination of a month of previous events. Either way, I won't decide which. It's been a long month and it ain't getting any shorter. I suspect I was built to handle it; otherwise, it wouldn't be my plight. I have good news, I have bad news and I have news I can't /won't share; but what's new about that.

I am bordering a nexxus of sorts. It is a crossroads of tradition, theology and opinion; but I suppose we all drive thru these parts. The sun is blotted out by the grey sky holding dominion over a soaked Middle Tennessee day. I watch the people go by aimlessly without purpose from my window, the tower of the bat looms over us all. The people going by busy themselves doing what they do when nobody's looking. I am invisible. That is by blessing. That is my curse. I have found that most of my blessings do come with a big red string. What is a blessing without a curse; what is the light without a shadow; if there were no moon, could there be a sun? I have had some bizarre enlightenings this week. Since I am still digesting, I'll have to give that to you later, maybe. It would seem the older I get that friends and family become synonamus. My friends I will typically see more often than my family. My friends tend to know more about me than my family. It has always been that way for me. Don't know if that is good or bad; but I am sure it is a symptom of something.

It has also been a week of firsts. I ate at PEI WEI for the first time Wednesday. I agreed to visit with someone and they picked the place. I strangled my objection in my mouth, just before they crossed my lips and said yes. I actually dont even know what I had. One was some sort of lettuce wrap and the main dish some type of chicken salad in a bowl; ironicly, I was dining with a Jamacian. It was an enjoyable time of fellowship. I think I am looking forward to the next time. I often get labeled a "conspiracy theorist," probably guilty. Everything happens for a reason at somebody's request. Who can argue with that. I probably should have been taking notes between bites. I kept getting that feeling that this was coming to some point; otherwise one wouldn't give that much information...but what do I know. Anywhooo.

B. Obama


I have heard the term thrown around this week "Great American." I say that because we are living in times that will be written in history (like when isnt it?) with a black man and a woman running for president. My boss came in and ask if we watched the debate. Of course I hadnt; nor did I know it was on. Actually I was at a dinner function and not near a tv; but had I been, I am sure I would have flipped to Sci-Fi. I can always count on them. I dont know if the right person is running for president this year. Seems like slim pickens all of a sudden. Elegant words always hide something and man-women have too much to prove despite being a pretty tough bird. I wonder if Martha Stewart would consider being Vice President. I confess, I actually didnt first think black or woman; I was just listening to the best person with the smartest dialect saying what I could be hip to. I would think that is bigger than sex or race; but apparently not. Due to 911; I am not sure I would want a woman president; but since Lara Croft aint runnin,' I guess Hillary is agood as anybody else. Obama is definitely well spoken, has a beautiful family and has a very engaging growing-up story that America has been parading as its shoulders for years. Its anybody's game; or is it? (oops...conspiracy theorist in me) The machine always wins. Can anything that is "Great American" really be only one color or sex for the whole?

Don Imus is back and I know thats old news. I am not upset about that. I personally think he got nailed. I would rather somebody come out with it to my face than discover the same underneath a corporate suit or uniform unspoken. Talk about blindsighted. Speaking of which, I heard this guy speak at our church last week. Very well educated and eloquent, Bishop Wellington Boone kept ears attentive as some minds struggled to keep up with a swift northern dialect. I cannot say I agreed with everything I heard; but you got it straight from the horses mouth with passion. Needless-to-say, some truths are very uncomfortable in mixed settings but that must occur for change and progress...or so "they" say.

Well thats all I got on a cloudy Friday. I have dinner plans already scheduled tonite so I wont get to play with my iPOD or load any good podcasts; but that will be in another blog. What a great Valentine's Day!

on to the anticipated and probably not over-rated Friday Fixin's

Chef David Tsang Lettuce Wrap

Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wrap Asian Food Recipe by Chef David Tsang


INGREDIENTS:
1/4 C. XOX Sweet Teriyaki (Starport 217)
6 oz. Chicken, diced
1 tsp. Cornstarch
1/4 C. Red onions, diced (1.3 oz.)
1/4 C. Red bell pepper, diced (1.5 oz.)
1/4 C. Water chestnuts, diced (1.5 oz.)
1/4 C.Bamboo shoots, diced (1.4 oz)
1/4 C. Mushrooms, diced (1.4 oz.)
2 Tbsp Green onions, chopped
6 Iceberg Lettuce cups
2 Tbsp. Oil

1. Slice chicken and coat chicken with 1/2 Tbsp. oil and 1 tsp. Cornstarch
2.    Heat a pan at high heat when hot, add oil, chicken and sear about 30 seconds then stir.
3. Add onions and red bell peppers let sear about 20 seconds.
4. Add bamboo shoots, water-chestnuts and mushrooms and stir-fry about 2 minutes.
5. Add XOX Sweet Teriyaki and stir-fry until steaming hot about 2 minutes, and add green onions.
6. Toss well and remove and serve with lettuce cups


Believe me when I say, It's DELICIOUS!!!!




Ahhh....soon.....

No comments: