A Life's Pursuit: Ungrounded Again!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ungrounded Again!




Maximus In Flight




It's hump day and I am working away on a huge project. Took a brief hiadias to let the thoughts collect and the resolutions settle in for the long haul. I don't make many resolutions cause I try to keep them all. Oh well... I was listening to a great Tom Petty song...There's just something about flying that is completely liberating. If you have ever or rember the first flight in a helecopter when you went over a ridge and your stomach drops because your mind is getting mixed messages from you eyes and your conscience....breathtaking when you should be falling, but your still flying.


My wifey got me flying lessons on my birthday and it took awhile for the right flying conditions but it finally happened. what a great present! I have always wanted to fly in everyway — to soar with the eagles and flirt with the birds. AMAZING! IT was sooo easy that I didn't believe I was in control til I shoved the wheel forward and we plunged downward. The instructor guides me through the headset on the mechanics and how to do certain flight patterns. It was natural. He answered every question except responding to my "so we could fly down there and chase cows..." no response. After repeating it twice, I decided my headset was temporarily malfunctioning.


Sweety snapped pics and video from the backseat of the small 4-seater. Occassional turbulance reminded us of the miracle/realism of flight. Its kinda like cars and plains have robbed us of the appreciation of distance that we now take for granted.Free Fallin'. After a few Miami Vice side glides, I flew to Lebanon and Hendersonville then back to Murfreesboro. Sweet! Thanks honey.

Now I am just remembering the crisp air, the freedom, the view and the tranquility. Ahhhhhh.....take it Tom....

Free fallin, now Im free fallin, now im
Free fallin, now Im free fallin, now im
I wanna glide down over mulholland
I wanna write her name in the sky
Gonna free fall out into nothin
Gonna leave this world for a while
And Im free, free fallin
Yeah Im free, free fallin ...more...








Aside from that great present, I had a fantastic dinner with our great friend Tom and Cassandra. Its always a blast. I got a great Salvador Dali, one of my favorite artist coffee table picture book. Matching t-shirts for me and wifey (yes, we prefer to match....I know its kinda hokey; but such that it is). Thanks Tom. Reminds me of a funny non-blonde story. Anyway, some day when I doodle or sketch or even better, draw, I also got a great leather-bound sketch pad. What a great year!

3 comments:

Andrew Stanfield said...

Fantastic birthday gifts. Flying is one of those 'things to do before you die' experiences that you can now cross off your list.

Linda Russell said...

Oh- I hope that you take more lessons-
You were a pro right from the start!

Bendy said...

That is so awesome! You were destined to soar among eagles (and chase cattle.) I want a husband as good as Pickle, which is why I'm still single...none to be found. You're truly blessed.