A Life's Pursuit: Friday Fixin's and ALL that!

Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday Fixin's and ALL that!






What a beautiful Nashville Friday!


Well its Friday and its been a smooth, steady week. The morning commute consisted of a sunrise worthy of pulling over and taking a picture; but I didnt. The temperature has been enuf to consider skipping the rest of this day; but I didnt. Instead I am plugging away at some projects and taking time to reflect and be thankful. It's gonna be a great weekend. Aside from working out, eating, Wii-ing, shooting pool, churching, visiting friends and neighbors; our friend Hector Belardo is getting married!
Slight history: I worked out at the same gym as Hector for years and he kept on inviting me to his church; which I politely declined and easily dismissed...besides, that was the last thing I was in the market for. I grew up in churches and was sick of the mess, division, confusion, unanswered questions, etc. Ironicly, my younger brother got married before me and our youngest brother passed out at the wedding and had to be rushed to the hospital. Long-story-short; his NURSE turns out to be Hector — the last of my expectations! This guy is a Puerto Rican tank and shredded like cheddar cheese...it was the last thing I expected. After watching how well he took care of little brother; I knew I owed him....so I tried his "church." However; he was right; I LOVED this one. It was different. I lost count of the different kinds of people surrounding me. Perhaps this was home. 5 years later, I am happily married and still attending. Thanks Hector.


Anyway, we ran into him again after going to visit a sick church member and found out about his wedding. We are so happy for him and his bride. He is a tremendous person. We wish you the best of joy in this time of celebration and life-altering union. You will always live in my legends of great individuals. And on to the "fixin's!"





*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RECIPE: PENNE PASTA WITH PORTOBELLO & CHEESE

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons Chopped onion
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 cup portobello mushrooms sliced
1 cup Canned Italian tomatoes, chopped & reserve liquid
5 small black olives, sliced in half
1/8 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
2 cup Cooked penne pasta
3 teaspoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
Fresh basil leaves for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
In a 3 quart microwavable casserole, combine onion, garlic
and oil and stir to coat. Microwave on high (100%) for 1
minute. Add mushrooms and tomatoes with reserved liquid and
stir to combine. Cover and microwave on high for 7 minutes,
stirring once every 3 minutes. Add olives and pepper and stir
thoroughly. To serve, in serving bowl arrange pasta; top with
mushroom-tomato mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with
cheese and garnish with basil.


homemade caramel popcorn

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RECIPE: BIG BATCH OF HOMEMADE CARAMEL CORN

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter
2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
6 quarts popped, unflavored popcorn
2 cups unsalted peanuts or mixed nuts

DIRECTIONS:
Melt butter; stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring;
5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla.
Gradually pour over popped corn, mixing well. Turn into 2
large cookie sheets and bake in a 250 degree oven for 1
hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool
completely. Break apart and enjoy.

Yield: 5 quarts of delicious sweet caramel corn to eat and share!




Well, that wraps up another Friday Fixins'! May your weekend be filled each other and love for your brothermen/women. May your weekend be only the beginning of a spectacular week. Be safe, be happy, be full.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read your post about Hector Belardo. Man - he and I go way back and would love to reconnect with him. My name is Keith Gordon and I was wondering if you could get Hector my info so we could reconnect? kgordon02@gmail.com