A Life's Pursuit: My Nappy Yesterdays

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

My Nappy Yesterdays



The drive in this morning was extremely delightful. A good nite passed with good friends and a fresh new day is on the rise. It's hump day! Don't slump on the hump! Ride, Ride, Ride! I am sure it will be a busy one; but there are just too many things to be thankful for to worry about what "might" happen. With that said, I flipped on the radio and this song sent me back to the future. It's an old Stevie Wonder song, I wish.

Stevie Wonder


Looking back on when I
Was a little nappy headed boy
Then my only worry
Was for Christmas what would be my toy
Even though we sometimes
Would not get a thing
We were happy with the
Joy the day would bring

I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go
I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go

...more...

Seems like only yesterday, I could see my mother smile. Sometimes I can see it in my own face. Life is simplier when adults do the things they should to be the kind of parents we treasure for a lifetime. I can honestly say I didn't grow up under the "we are your best friends" mentality. There was NO doubt who was the parent and who was the child. In the beginning, there were 4 of us and we were thick as thieves. That is to say that only one of us could be mean to any of us. They were some fun times. All the men of the family cook. I guess the women do too. Mom always insisted on men not requiring mothers after her. We were cross trained. Whatever the parents said is what got done. There was never a question of at our leisure; but now. That seems confused in a society of "ask the child what they want." Obviously I would have chosen to sit around all day and watch cartoons; but I was cutting grass from age 5, as well as us all having chores to be done before they got home from work. The "done or else" was never required...at least not more than once. And that lends fingers to thousands of blogs of tall tales and adventures...but not today.


I watch the school children play and wonder if tomorrow they will be ok. I wonder if they are safe when they go home. Will they even be safe on the bus? Obviously, the people in the world have changed and some think parenthood is the same as breeding; but they aren't. Like a garden, these little spirits must be watered, pruned and surrounded by warm light. Afterall, they are the gardeners of the future and we know what happens to unattended fields. In the eyes of my nephews and nieces, I see the glimmer of the future and pray for their safe passage til then.



1 comment:

Bendy said...

If we could take the values of yesteryear and apply them to the world today...it would be awesome! I miss Mayberry :)