A Life's Pursuit: It's My FRIDAY!!!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

It's My FRIDAY!!!!

It's a bright early morning with no sign of rain today in the Music City. Today is my Friday. By this time tomorrow I will be sitting in a crowded airport or in the air. It is beautiful to watch the morning wake...almost as nice as watching my peacefully sleeping wifey in a warm bed just before my kiss awakens her. Boy, I would love to have played hookie today; but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do; and this one intends to give his 110% til the end. I was raised "ol' school" under the phrases that have become timeless to me. "A man is only as good as his word" "If you say it; then you better do it" "Don't let your mouth write a check your arse can't cash." "Just because everybody else jumps off the bridge doesn't mean you have to"....and I am sure you can add half a dozen too. These are the things I grew up with. Almost 40+ years later; I am still guided by them.


I suppose sometimes I wonder, will or does the past hold us captive? What is so critical about those first years that cut a trench down through a lifetime? Why do we remember those years in cement; whether it was just perception or reality, we are provoked to follow or completely disallow those ideas and guidelines lain down during that time? If we know that such a time is so critical; why is it that often these years are subject to turmoil? I was fortunate most days and more fortunate than some I knew. At least I was "safe" at home.

No comments: