A Life's Pursuit: Wedding Weekend

Monday, April 16, 2007

Wedding Weekend




Riverwood Mansion

Riverwood Mansion, Nashville, TN

Well it was a very rainy, cloudy, soaking weekend. I even had the pleasure of watching it rain AND snow at an intersection in Brentwood. It was a little strange; but you know that a little strange and I go a long way. Aside from that, I attended a beautiful wedding of some close friends. It's great to have close friends to share in the joys of life. Those same friends are a great source of encouragement and strength in times of need. Weddings have become a soft spot for me since my own. I never thought much of them before; nor believed that there were very many good ones. Luckily we all live and learn. It is a beautiful thing to see two become one under the eyes and hearts of friends and family. It's great to see two families become united as each hopes for the best for their new couple. It' so nice to sit and watch a ceremony and listen to the words and of course, watch the people present. Some faces have a longing hope while others are remembering their own emotions on just such a day. I watched closely at the groom's face for the first glimpse of his bride in her gown. I remember that as a breath-taking moment of "oh boy, this is really happening! She is absolutely stunning and terrified with excitement!" Of course, I was reasonably calm and observing everything I could possibly take in; the air, the breeze, the smell of blossoms, the faces of friends and family and spectators, some of their thoughts, hopes, fears and dreams.

The mother of the bride was absolutely stunning. The proud parents' faces stretched with smiles and anticipation. Time seemed to leap by as the ceremony flashed along. The beautiful mansion played host to all those before it and even those probably present unseen. We do so wish them well. It is through the commitment made by a man and woman that they grow together becoming more aware of themselves and each other. It's kinda like the peace corps...."it's the toughest job you will ever love!"

On a lighter note; of course my normal route to the office was blocked...major traffic jam. So I backtracked after doing a doughnut and took some new road. Having no idea where I was going other than my destination, I zig-zagged across the beautiful green countryside just on gas and instincts. I actually made it with one minute to spare and a great adventure under my belt.


On a heavier note: I think my little doggie is sick or near her moment. That will be a horribly difficult time. My wife has had her since she was a puppy. I can see the tears behind her eyes when she looks in her direction. It is true that all things come to an end. Our heavy hearts must look forward to the future in the midst of today's realities. We cannot get there if we do not leave here. That is just the way it is. None of that changes the sadness that will come from the loss.

lizard writer

No comments: