A Life's Pursuit: I Understand TIME!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I Understand TIME!

TIME, person of the year 2006



Obviously I am a bit behind; but my mind still remembers this one. I am still profoundly wowed by the TIME cover concept for the person of the year 2006. In my short life of 40+ years; there are things that mark time. I remember thinking, "who is ever going to pay for water? It's FREE!" I remember thinking, "who's ever going to talk on a phone while they're driving a car?" I remember thinking, "music videos, that won't last long." I am not sure I look forward to the question, "What's a phone booth? I thought that was only in Superman comics." ...and I won't even start on cloning or virtual reality or space/time travel.

Never in history has the ability to communicate so far, well or universally or quickly with the rest of the world been so possible. Evenmoreso; that communication has power. Aside from possibly blurring the lines between lie, truth and opinion; it's a BLOG WORLD. I remember saying to my old friend who got me started, "I can build web sites, why would I waste time blogging or even want to. Obviously, I was wrong again. Whether its theraputic or propelled by some other motivations, the world is FULL of blogs, bloggers and bloggings. The world is shrinking at an alarming rate. Unfortunately, people are rarely able to get along spread apart, what happens when everybody is next door or in the same room? It's safe to say that not everything should be shared but one must step back for a moment. Are our luxuries actually our downfalls. Cellphones are way out of hand...from during movies, funerals or even in church; they are everywhere and they can take pictures/videos. They also tell us where you are at all times. New cars and their global positioning devices — what happens when the one looking for you isn't friendly? Our clothes and monies have electronic devices embedded .... the right or wrong person knows more about you than your mother with or without your social security number. Nothing is "unhackable." That is my ONE regret about being an Apple-ite; I didn't spend more time learning how to hack.


Technology is making nothing sacred. Even churches are broadcasting sermons to other screens in the same building; but why should they be behind in technology. Science and religion are not so far apart; nor at opposite ends of the spectrum. Will we forget the beauty of a sunrise or set? Will our human natures use technology to a point that we forget what our fathers and mothers of long ago taught us? Will there come a day that there are no phone cords to unravel? Who will unravel us? I suppose all this technology is what we "ask" for; but is it what we need? Should we be more careful what we "ask" for? I am forever repeating the great line from Spiderman II; "with great power, comes great responsibility." Yeh, I know, that wasn't original to Spidey. Where will the icons of truth stand when the digital age finishes making everyone god? Who will be able to tell what is real or where the foundations of the world are lain? Opinions are like butts; everybody's got one — but should its contents be aired in the streets? Opinions are like farts — they don't all stink; but they all come from the same place. What will we serve when "we" are everything and everywhere?

Hmm.....well, its still raining.....but it isn't blurring the picture of the future. I know you're still thinking about that last paragraph. Don't go gently into the night.....




That wraps this one up for me; knee deep and choking.

1 comment:

Bendy said...

Bless you my dear friend. Your thought provoking blogs ROCK! Yes, we have all kinds of devices for communication, but what about the good ol' face to face? Technology, though a wonderful thing, is slowly alienating us :(