A Life's Pursuit: Two Things MUST Come Together

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Two Things MUST Come Together

couple dancing mosaic

A beautiful dance requires the absence of minds and the unity of passions.



I drove in this morning listening to the Indigo Girls. Some really great music and even better lyrics. We can easily be seduced by music and not realize what the words are saying....but that's another blog. I was listening to the song Ghost and the wisdom in its powerful lyrics unraveled this blog for today that will bounce around but be quite focused on the necessity of "two." Check out this cool lyric; and there are many more:"...the Mississippi's mighty but it starts in Minnesota at a place where you could walk across with five steps down and i guess that's how you started like a pinprick to my heart but at this point you rush right through me and I start to drown..."

How often do our affections begin so innocently and even quirky. I remember the first time I spoke to my wife. Trust me, I'm no rocket scientist...but I remember not ever forgetting. But that wasn't enough, I would later find myself dancing with her for the first time and that I will never forget. I remember how time stopped, how the world vanished...much like a dream, people were everywhere but in slow motion and in black and white; my spot was in color without time, I don't even remember breathing. I remember the lightning running through my palm when our hands met in a classic tango position. Sure, I KNEW I was going to make her day; but mine was made instead. Without words, forever was spoken. (whew....ok breathe...come back....that's another blog, Micheal, stay on track....)

Anyway, two things must come together! Great music requires that there is an exchange...something happens. Either the musician pulls down something from the gulf of the cosmos or out of the chasm of living and unites that with honesty, sorrow, love or etc...you get the picture. Whatever the two things; nothing ignites before that moment. Fingers on guitar strings break the pace of the air around them. Piano keys are driven by the passion dwaddling their bi-racial surface. What is the mystery of music that we must have it everywhere, produce it from anything and constantly make more? Sure there are great solo musicians; but even they were reqired by the Law of Two to build and maintain their empires.

Hmmm....so if an ipod fell in a forest with no people; would there be music? Probably not.... Make music; not love — probably not....(those may be synonymous...) Yeah. Ok. Anyway, the Indigo Girls bring the full package...great music, talented musicians, incredible lyrics and a personal passion to be passionate about political and social issues. Cool beans. I will end this blog with words from another Indigo song titled "Galileo:" "...how long till my soul gets it right can any human being ever reach that kind of light I call on the resting soul of Galileo king of night vision king of insight how long, how long, how long ...."

My favorite people tend to be the artists and musicians (...aren't they the wierdest..?) They're are just made different. That whole beat of a different drum is not lost on the "creatives." Anyway, as two come together, think about the spark, think about the synchronicity and splendor of life and even more so; what kind of creator could have thought of so many things and made them with room for more. I stare into Christmas thankfully. I gaze into the New Year blinded by vision. I am looking forward to our next dance...to remember and to enjoy what is and was and will be. Keep the great music coming girls. Paint my emotions indigo.

Indigo Girls headshot

No comments: