A Life's Pursuit: Going the Wrong Way to Get Right

Friday, December 15, 2006

Going the Wrong Way to Get Right



volkswagen bug with dinosaurs



mac macintosh logoI was reading my wife's blog this morning as the sun wrapped it's warm embrace around my shoulders through the shadow of the Batman Building. It could have only been made better with an extra-hot White Mocha from Starbucks...but I had a Sobe energy drink instead. Much like myself, she fought the blogging scene only to discover its severe healing abilities and release capabilities. She is quite the writer. Anyway, I really enjoyed the blog. I often refer to us by saying she is linear and I'm circular; that makes our diameter universal. It's kinda like the MAC and PC commercials [....smile.....and all the Mac people grinned with "I got that"....].


Oh yeah, the point of this homage is based on these lines I find particularly exciting:
"Within a few minutes I went from scared, frustrated to excited and creative. A part of me was paying attention to the road, and a part of me was writing this blog. I began to think about how much our attitudes play into survival."



I like these lines because at their core, lies the juice of my excitement. It's that fine line between "Oh @%*#!" and "Yeah Baby!".....the point at which that other part of you or something else, takes over. I often reply that "I ain't lost if I got plenty of gas!" There is a thrill in the unknown and the process of discovering newness or common truths. We once took a vacation by drawing directions (N, S, E, W, NW, SE, SW, etc) from a hat and going to where ever we saw a sign that had the direction chosen from the hat. My practical wife lasted as long as she could with no plan and we ended up in Blacksburg, VA. She was concerned with "what if we drive right by the world's biggest ball of yarn and don't know it" and I was "so what, everybody else already saw it...its just tourist stuff; we're adventurers!" We had a fantastic time and discovered the greatest little Italian restaurant close to VTU with the best calazones I have ever NOT been able to finish. It was all nestled in a charming little shopping/artsy district with a two-story glass gym.


Ahhhhh...... We have endeavored to keep that kind of "yes, let's see" attitude even years later. I think it keeps relationships fresh. Sure there are things that have to be done and times they must happen; but reserve some time to just "be," to explore and discover together at the same time in the same place and separately occassionally. I have often remarked at a busy intersection, "its easier to go the wrong way to get to the right..." It's true on many levels...turning opposite traffic is easier by flowing with the momentum to a point of easiest turn downstream."


Ok...blah blah blah....[all that, to say this] Check it out for yourself, Wherever You Go: Going the Wrong Way to Get Right.



Life is best lived; not watched!


No comments: