A Life's Pursuit: Family...That's Incredibles!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Family...That's Incredibles!

Hey, look, I think it's a job for the Incredibles!




Families are Incredible. There are some things in life that we just don't get to control or choose. Some of those things turn out to be the most incredible gifts we ever receive. I think "family" is one of the most precious things I posess. My particular family comes in all shapes, sizes, colors and confusions. I think that is probably more the norm these days. It keeps things interesting.

I love the Incredibles! Not only is it very well done; but it is a movie for the family, about the family and in support of the family. Seems like most big budgets are aimed against the family and everything else we once clutched so close, as "sacred." These Incredibles just happen to be my brother and sister-in-laws and their beautiful children. In fact, aren't they all just catalog chic! I think the best revelation about families is their ability to pull together in tough times. Family is something very difficult to escape; but forever linked. I remember growing up with 5 other siblings—sometimes it was tough but one thing was for sure, we were family. It doesn't mean hugs and kisses every night; but it does mean somebody is always in your corner rooting for your success. We often played WWF (World Wrestling Federation...i.e. male soap operas) and it was usually fun; but we were born with that right; anyone outside of us messing with one of us, just got a date with ALL of us. Cans of 'WA' (I'll let you figure this one out) start opening like instant bisquits.


I used to look at others and think "they seem like the normal perfect family." Later in life, I discovered that maybe there is no "normal" or "perfect," just degrees of "like everybody else..." The punchline turns out to be that practically everybody is just a little off. (Smile) Whatever your relationship with your family, consider at least always leaving the "talking" door open. Families are fun. Find some way to communicate in a civil manner....don't wait 'til just a holiday to reach out. There's just something special about family that you can't get any where else. I miss working out with my brother, Chris; incidentally, one of my brother-in-laws has the same name and works out too, and our mutual friends Chan and another Chris and Tommy. We had great comradery!


In fact, if my neighbor is my brother/sister; then the world gets even smaller and my family gets even bigger! I am looking forward to Thanksgiving in spite of it often being overlooked and treaded on by Christmas (Happy Holidays) merchandisers. I actually like to just find strangers (within reason) and invite them too. I love my family in all its many shades and delimas. If you ever really want to know about yourself, hang around your family for a bit and they will probably tell you.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do love the Incredibles! Lord knows I am not for sure if I would want to know what my family thinks about me.:)
Great pix.

Anonymous said...

My family is the same. My (adult) kids may have their squabbles but if one of them needs help in any way.. the rest are just THERE. No questions asked.