A Life's Pursuit: The Bliss of Innocence

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Bliss of Innocence




Well, last night was Halloween. A dear friend of mine called on her way home to say Happy Halloween and that she was thinking of me on what once was my "favorite" holiday. She recanted how much I got into dressing in costume and having fun. Alas, it is a "once a time ago" affair whose luster has tarnished. I won't say that I don't like Halloween; just not nearly as much. It seems to me that watching the little children come and go in costumes of their heroes or terrors is just as appealing. They all look so happy. Perhaps if we as adults knew less about life, we would also be just as happy. Ironicly, Christ encourages us to come to Him like the little children—come in our costumes before Him and experience His love in spite of ourselves and self/peer condemnation. The child-like joy and excitement they have when they come in anticipation of receiving treats without any concerns of time before "trick or treat" time or safety or deserving free candy or any of the things we adults so readily become entangled. It is nice to see the little kids with their parents greet you with smiles and friendly words as we all share in the joy of their children's quest for candy; but also the communion of community, the extended sphere. The real thrill will be when they go home and tally up all their loot....or so I remember.

I further believe it is healthy for the kids to express themselves by dressing up in costume and also greeting semi-strangers. It's great for parents to get out with them and begin or become aware of the people around them. My Dad was never around much growing up; he was always working to keep food on the table. We talked about that once as adults. I had told him I would have traded all of that for just time shared with him. He understood as well as I understood what had to be done back then; but it was nice hearing it and it needed to be said. I like holidays for the most part. It always takes me some time at the beginning to back off my negative programming and loathing of the tension that typically comes or I grew up with during holidays. My wife is good on that kind of stuff. She makes it all easier. Personally, the Grench is my hero. In fact, she gave me a foot-tall grench one Christmas that I still have to this day as one of my favorite gifts of all time.

I think it is important that we allow children to be enthrawled with the things of childhood. I know there are a lot of debates about "good" this, "evil" that; but face it, as a parent it is your responsibility to guide your offspring—not cage them. It's make-believe, it's fantasy, it's not real. Children can afford that luxury....at least for a little while; after all, Santa Claus loves everyone—most people cannot say the same. Reality will make its presence dominant soon enough and good fences make good neighbors....so moderation, not excess. But what do I know?





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.