A Life's Pursuit: The Illusive Holy Spirit

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Illusive Holy Spirit







.....you have heard it said, "...Father, Son and Holy Spirit." In fact there are many mentions of the "Holy Spirit" in the Bible and churches across America. I was listening as I walked past the breakroom this morning and heard the TV evangelists speaking. One particular phrase caught my ear, "empowered by the Holy Spirit."


It's not that I don't know what it is or have ever heard of it; cause I have. I have even experienced it several times. I must confess the oddity of it all. Like the wind, unseen but effectual...you see the trail it makes and leaves. In fact, several times Christ tells his disciples NOT to continue until the "Holy Spirit" has come upon you which will guide and empower you. I have heard it said the the Holy Spirit was there at the creation and even before as the foundations of the universe were being drafted. Down through the years, artists have painted God and Jesus. I have yet to see a personification of the Holy Spirit. Suffice to say, it is typically depicted as a dove which is more the evidence than the cause. Hmmm....

Great and sometimes even unbelieveable things have been done at the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. I have only seen and experienced some of these personally a few times; but they tend to leave a mark on your memory. I remember the verse in Hebrews, "without faith it is impossible to please God" and with only a mustard seed bit of it; you can move mountains. I would like an elephant-size helping of it please. I have often thought that it must be hard to acquire faith based on looking around at how many people I saw moving mountains. Somewhere between faith and the Holy Spirit we humans are capable of amazing things when we can keep ourselves out of the way.


I could only wonder what we as people could actually see if we could see the "spiritual realm" around us mingling, directing and distracting us everyday.




1 comment:

Joel said...

Man---Those last 2 blogs are extremely powerful---You go ahead and preach---I'll just sit back and listen....