A Life's Pursuit: Botel Weekend

Monday, May 15, 2006

Botel Weekend





What happens when you cross a motel with a boat....you get a botel. Yes, its a boat that's a motel. I guess it could also be a hotel; but since you drive up; it's really got to be a motel.

I spent the weekend back in West Tennessee for first motherless Mother's Day. All things considered, it went very well. My wife booked a "surprise" location for our weekend stay. Since we had our beloved pet with us; it added an x-factor to the whole event. The Botel is located about a mile outside of Savannah; although it looks like its in Pickwick. It looked a little odd in the beginning; but turned out to be a great surprise.
It sat right on the Tennessee River with a two-story deck that you could sit out on and hang with friends as you watched the sun set. It was nice.

I spent Saturday cutting grass with my father—which we have done together since I was knee-high with a tadpole. It brought back many old memories and tall tales that just make you laugh to even think about. It was good to see him and to see us doing something together....a great distraction for what was to be evident and missing. Meanwhile my wife and dog are running errands and shopping. We are not typically apart but she understood that I needed this "son time" with my father; even if we never spoke a word about anything.

Ironicly; he never said much when I was a kid...now it's quite different. Sometimes it's TMI (too much information). We have a good relationship and I only anticipate that it will become better. We never grew up with much more than honesty and hard work; but the six of us are doing well. It is obvious ...the hole ... someone leaves when they depart; so we must endeavor to value everyone's presence to the fullest.

Sunday, I went to my home church, St. Paul A.M.E. Church in Hooker's Bend, TN....yeah, I know; but the place is named after John Hooker from the Civil War...etc....etc. Great to see some old friends and some friendly faces. I really enjoy the pastor, Rev. Bobby Carter from Jackson, TN as a friend and a pastor. He allows the Spirit to deliver the message to the souls of th people. I always enjoy talking with him; its just never long enough. Most people are afraid to "keep it real" for fear of all the things people fear; especially "religious" people.

Annie (the doggy) had a great time too and met many new friends. There was an RV Park near and of course everyone had their pets with them. Most were friendly...but her father was there to protect. :D

Well its raining again in grand ol' Nashville. Beautiful dark clouds shroud the Batman building only adding to the prevailing gloom of a day ONLY half way done.




hmmm....

No comments: