A Life's Pursuit: 5 Crazy Reasons We Ain’t Crazy Yet

Thursday, March 11, 2010

5 Crazy Reasons We Ain’t Crazy Yet

crazy as the joker



I was on Facebook and one of my friends had this quote that stopped me in my tracks. It was so profound I had to read it twice. That’s when I knew what my blog topic was going to be today. Thanks!



“I've heard that it's possible to grow up - I've just never met anyone who's actually done it. Without parents to defy, we break the rules we make for ourselves. We throw tantrums when things don't go our way, we whisper secrets with our best friends in the dark, we look for comfort where we can find it, and we hope - against all logic, against all experience. Like children, we never give up hope...”
Meredith Grey


We break the rules we make for ourselves: I don’t know about you; but I have a few rules over the years that I made for all time that if broken, I believe I deserve whatever I get. Luckily I don’t typically have to learn the same lesson more than twice…but I guess there are always that one or two that seem to haunt or repeat. Why do we live to break the rules? Maybe we inherited it from our parents, Adam and Eve.

We throw tantrums when things don’t go our way: Honestly, I confess to being a bit upset if I don’t get my way. Depending on what the situation, my reaction is minor or major. I’ve gotten better at keeping the demons at bay when its major. I know what hides in the closet and it ain’t pink or pastel or cuddly. I try to focus on how funny the story will be later. In addition, I ask myself, “what can I learn about this or from this event?”

We whisper secrets with our best friends in the dark: I think every sane person has a BFF. These people know so much that your life might surely end if there lips parted. Even more amazing is that they remain your friend. We tend to have to tell someone in spite of or addition to God. Im not sure why, but some level of confession or empting has to happen to feel better at least for a little while.

We look for comfort where we can find it: That might answer a lot of “why” questions that we all seem to get stuck on. Even in the worst of situations that we wish we didn’t care about, we still hate admitting that the why matters. We still seek to understand how or why something we didn’t see or couldn’t imagine happening occurs, especially if we are all human and created equal.

We never give up hope: Hope is either a dessert or an addiction; I’m not sure which. We have all seen or heard stories of someone who had survived some horrific situations only through the strength of hope. Mothers and grandmas have gone to the grave hoping for the safety of their children. In such times as these, we all hope it will get better or that trouble don’t last always. When we are away from our loved ones, we hope someone is looking out for them. The world is suffocating under pressure.

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

An amazing bit of writing, with a lot behind it. Just what I needed to read this morning.