A Life's Pursuit: Jesus Under A Bridge!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jesus Under A Bridge!




The WORD has the power to transform under any circumstances..."


Adventure is not hard to find if you're willing to follow the road less taken. Last night was one of those nites to remember. I promised a scoop of our "Bridge Experience" and I wont make this blog long enuf to really do justice. I really hope this doesnt sound hockey; but it was a nite of unparalelled wow! Yes, it was chilly. Yes, it was beneath a bridge outside. Yes, it was raw and completely engaging. Even as a typical skeptic or reservist; I was easily swept away with the passion of the organizers. That tidal wave was dwarfed by the no-holds-barred honesty of the message that ripped wounds into the souls of men/women and refilled crushed lives with hope. It was more than a "we want to help" message; it was a "you gotta make some "different choices for different results" message that encouraged becoming empowered. It was haunting to listen to the power of a simple but direct message echoing off the unflinching steel and concrete piercing the souls that lay desperate before the "good news". This message came AFTER everyone had been fed with a generous plate of food; even one pet dog. Clothes were distributed and a bicycle and tent given away. Amidst being introduced to folks, my eyes rarely left the people before me. In my mind, I thanked God that I were not they; knowing that most of America is one paycheck from homelessness. I saw couples and families begin to smile at one less night without a meal and a smile in the safety of a bridge ministry. I found myself occassionally forcing my eyes not to look too deep into the despair I saw staring back at me. I KNEW I was no better than they and it could have just as easily been me...but this is so NOT about me.


The Bridge Ministry actively engages a severe need in American society we so easily step over or shurk off with some snide remark. Much like 911 proved; security is at best an illusion; safety but a dream — who BUT Jesus could offer a better deal. I remembered stories in the Bible where Jesus was often greeted with huge crowds in need. Some would argue that if any of that "stuff" were real; then 911, Katrina, child abuse and homeless people would never happen. I can remember praying for my dying mother wondering where was He. I was certainly sincere! I also know that a Lord doesnt answer to a servant; the answer was apparently beyond my "need-to-know." I cannot see the air; but I know its there; I was willing to go without all the answers. I watched the ministry below the bridge swell with faith as smiles and tears danced in place of each other before the altar call. A mass rose and came toward us. Everyone had different needs and different demons; just like we all do. Once upon a time I prayed because tradition and raising said so; now its only because I EXPECT something to happen. I knew I was where I was supposed to be at that moment in time. I told them that as we agreed to pray together. I wanted to hear what they were already thankful for and what they wanted. I also told them I wanted to hear the stories of what happened when I saw them again because I did EXPECT something to happen. The shorter man probably late 50s raised his steel grey eyes dripping with tears asking if I would be back to hear the story. I paused validating the truth within myself as I replied yes. I had no intention of just giving an answer I didnt mean. It was intense. I do not know how you get attached to hearts so quickly and look for new depths of love beyond your awareness; but I know somehow Jesus makes all things new and possible. I have NEVER been disappointed when He shows up; especially when I certainly am not so perfect or dilligent is searching for His secrets and conversation.



I would have thought that the constant frigid breeze with an occassional dust particle would have distracted me. I would have thought that the folding chair beneath me would have become stone. I would have thought I would have been more concerned about our safety and common sense as I stared into the eyes and even the abyss of need that lay sprawled before eyes already weary from a long day in front of a computer screen. I would have planned on an occassional smile out of only politeness. I met my friend Earl while shopping for a house. In the process I located a home and a friend helping other friends. I cannot say what such an experience equals in words; you would have to experience for yourself.



The Bridge Ministry meets every Tuesday nite at 6pm under the bridge by the Stockyard. Discover your depths and help others soar by sharing your precious time, smiles and love. You REALLY will be blessed and a blessing. WOW! As I reread this I realize it doesnt even come close to what I have to say about the experience. WOW!

2 comments:

Bendy said...

You touched my heart, Max. I was right there with you seeing the faces before me. I've emailed the link to the ministry to many and hope others will join in to help be "Jesus" to others. Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Another great blog!