A Life's Pursuit: The Camera Made Me Do It

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Camera Made Me Do It






It would seem a daunting task to have something to say everyday. It would seem that the act of living provides something new or at least old again to inspire a different thought. I needed my daily liquid fix since I am a creature of habit. At the coffee shop, the ipod on the counter was already feeding as I carried on conversation. As I received my daily embibbing from the Moon Goddess, the spark ignited. Gadgets! These days we have gadgets out the you-know-what! During my pedicure Saturday, I had a delightful conversation with a young Korean of 14yrs old who couldnt wait to become engrossed in conversation. I think it was the "apple" shirt I was wearing. It has that kind of magic! It would be my second favorite shirt; yes, the glow-in-the-dark smiley face is STILL number ONE! The kid, Hoc, likes to do stop movement animation; so we chatted the entire time. I remember saying to him, "when I was your age, computers would take up this entire room; now you can hold it in the palm of your hand." His eyes squeezed shut from his broad smile. I knew right then he was probably thinking what an old dude. I marveled at his enthusiasm and passion for his project and his hobby. I can remember having that...really having it beyond just being inspired because of a particular project. We talked of gadgets, youtube and myspace as his parents occassionally nodded and smiled.



It became apparant that the camera was allowing him this creative outlet. It became apparent that the new generation was directly linked to technology/media and its progress toward human synchronization. More and more people were going to be helpless without their gadgets in the coming years. I didnt even ask him if he knew what a phone booth was. Stop Action Video


Do these gadgets make us more or less creative? Do they inspire new ways of doing what we were once skilled at doing ourselves? Are they making human contact obsolete? Will the human touch be replaced in the future? As the world grows smaller; does the space between each of us increase?




2 comments:

Andrew Stanfield said...

'As the world grows smaller, does the space between each one of us increase?' That is going to be one of the important questions this century has to answer. Very well done.

Bendy said...

Technology...the double edged sword. On one hand, the creativity to develop new gadgets is fascinating and mind boggling; on the other, using said gadgets does seem to supress human contact....something we need to survive.

LONG LIVE THE SMILEY SHIRT! lol