A Life's Pursuit: Fantastic FLOPS!

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Fantastic FLOPS!


SILVER SURFER


Isn't it funny how you can look forward to something so much because of the fond memories you have or how the expectation of something makes it some delectable "future sweet tease?" I tremendously enjoyed watching the "300" on the IMAX screen after seeing the History Channel's presentations of the historical coverage of the real battle and strategic thinkers of the time. Since comic books were my first friends, I was an avid collector of all things Marvel and #1 issues for many years. This Saturday, after returning from a week-long jaunt in Maui, Hawaii and still in vacation mode; I heard from a friend (LAM) about a drive-in movie theater in a nearby town. So my wifey and I dropped the top on the convertible and headed that way. First off, convertible bug is the ultimate drive-in movie vehicle; wifey: perfect makeout partner; warm, starlit summer nite: perfect for anything outside. Turns out it was a double feature of Ratatouille and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer; so hey, I thought I would suffer through the cartoon for the real treat.

rat cheese

First things first: I WAS DEAD WRONG! The rat-movie was real cheese! Not only were there great characters and story present but it was laced with extremely powerful social overtones. It reminded me of the original "Planet of the Apes" in terms of addressing social ideals. GREAT MOVIE! While I felt it was more for the child in all we adults, it was still entertaining for the kids of the audience. I could hear their laughter in attentive darkness and dashboard lights. ...more on Ratatouille...



As all things fantastic go...vaccant on arrival. I was first seduced by the magic of the Surfer back in comicdom. Great hearlds of the comic world like Chris Claremont, John Byrne, John Buscema and Jim Starlin are landmarks in great comic history. [For all the non-nerds out there, and u know who u r...] Chris Claremont, the greatest writer Marvel ever employed; John Byrne, the Father of my Comic Desire to Draw; John Buscema, the master of the comic drawn line and Jim Starlin of irrefuteable comic mastery and innovation have provide long and exciting history/legacies in comicdom. For the generations that remember; they represent everything right with comics! Unfortunately; they had little to do with this movie. As I begin my 90 degree dash into the bowels of this rot; remember you were forewarned. The rat takes the cheese!

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer follows along with comic movies of equal or similar disdain including but not limited to "The Incredile Hulk, Daredevil, Electra, X-Men 3, Ghost Rider and I am sure others to follow. These represent all that is wrong with the jump; dare I say leap from comics to screen and the meddling dirty fingers of Hollywood in an artform before moving pictures. One might think that a great cast (excluding miscasting of Reed Richards, Susan Storm; Dr. Doom talking too fast and voice too high) would not be deserted by a good story. Obviously; most of the economic thrust went to special effects and their salaries. Aside from the reused voice tracks from the Matrix for the Surfer voice, Terminator 2 silver man graphics and Pitch Black / War of the Worlds end-of-the-world effects, the movie hobbles along like a one wheel cart on a degraded cobblestone path with large potholes every mile. If I hadnt enjoyed the Rat movie and loved comics so much; I would have departed after the first appearance of the Surfer...but hope wouldnt let me leave. Like the Incredible Hulk movie or Godzilla; I kept thinking..."its gonna get better...I remember it that way..." Sometimes memories let you down and are better left with the cobwebs of perfection. While only supported by a cracked axle of reused special effects; my imagination limped to the end with barely the energy to jump the last mudhole. The Surfer by far was the best character; but that says very little at this point. Victor Von Doom, as I recall, always made great long speeches of his superiority and ultimate destiny to rule the world! Unfortunately, he only manages to rule his Nip with a slight Tuck. Alba is a lame Sue in as much as Reed was absent. Johnny and Ben tried...but the energy/connection was pretend at best. The best chemisty of the movie was between the Surfer and his board. It was a doomed sequel ....nuf said. P.S. Stan, there's a good reason you shouldn't have been on the guest list....



No comments: