A Life's Pursuit: The Distraction of Absence

Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Distraction of Absence



absence in a chair

Everyday it seems something new is invented to distract us. Our cellphones not only make and take calls; they play videos, make videos, tell time and play music. I almost never wear a watch anymore. (besides I tan really fast) Anyway....I had so much to blog about today but my time is too short; so I may get several little bits in. The sun was so warm at lunch and the crystal blue sky reminded me of being on several cruises out in the Bahamas and St. Croix.....what a time! My day is only half over and I have to return to finish it. I was greatly tempted to walk around; but given the circumstances, way too many distractions would have been available. Hence; this blog.

At this point, I decided to be distracted by "absence." If you can watch videos and play music on a cellphone; can you not also study "absence," notice the way it moves, hear what it whispers, learn its secrets? I remember my old college roommate and I would sit in a dark room with only a candle and listen to hear how far we could hear...beyond our walls, beyond our floor, beyond our immediate now. I realize that sounds toasted; but you will be surprised to experience a point when this other world comes to your attention. I am just not sure if its coming from outside or inside you. I know; but don't knock it till you've tried it. Remove every possible distraction and study "absence." There are so many layers to our existence that we probably rarely notice most of what is right around us. What lurks within, below and around...maybe even just beyond?




No comments: