A Life's Pursuit: The Cost of Mediocrity!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Cost of Mediocrity!

samaritan funny





me·di·oc·ri·ty (md-kr-t)
A noun: (1)  averageness, mediocrity, ordinariness as a consequence of being average and not outstanding; (2 ) second-rater, mediocrity a person of second-rate ability or value; "a team of aging second-raters"; "shone among the mediocrities who surrounded him"

Who can measure the ocean or the power of a hurricane? I spent last weekend in New Orleans, Louisiana. I had to see the devastation of the hurricane for myself. The TV didn't do it justice. Even without the images of the wind shredding everything in its path or the water shrugging anything aside; the effects were still very evident of what had occurred. I saw miles of nearly empty lots and acres of carnage still laying almost a year and a half later. I don't know what I expected to see; but I know I wasn't prepared for how I would feel. It's very difficult to describe. Obviously there had been some clean up and reconstruction since it originally happened; but it seems extremely slow. However; to be fair, it would seem hopeless to fix what I saw in any short period of time. I left with two immediate feelings: hopeless despair and thankfulness that it wasn't me. How does a flea help an elephant? Can a toe support the entire body?

New Orleans pics


I am sure that in someone's infinite wisdom, the levy was "good enough." I am sure that somebody decided that "there's no need to do any more than just enough." I see it everyday; that disgusting countenance of "mediocrity," that attitude that anything more than ordinary is just too much trouble. Don't fool yourself, just because you don't; doesn't mean someone else won't have to pay for your inability to take one more precious second or take one extra minute for the little things you are just too busy/lazy/inconvienient to do. I put all those words together because they often translate into the same thing; an excuse. I tend to call 'em as I see 'em and that ruffles feathes. I really don't care and I expect the same in return. Potiential is just that "sitting still potiential" until "action" occurs. It is only "possible power" not power. “Knowledge is only potential power”...Napoleaon Hill "Mediocrity is the lack of engaging the the could of with the did".....maximusdoom “A stricken tree, a living thing, so beautiful, so dignified, so admirable in its potential longevity, is, next to man, perhaps the most touching of wounded objects”...Edna Furber


The problem with "mediocrity" isn't that it costs you; but that it costs everybody else.



No comments: