A Life's Pursuit: The War for Balance

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The War for Balance






Maybe it's just me or that I was single for so long; but it's hard to keep enuf time that makes everybody happy. I have a core of friends that have been around since I was me; it's not likely that I will leave or get rid of them — besides, why would I want to. They're the best. I have an incredible wife with which I intend to be with til death. I have an artistic side that has always helped and haunted me; not to mention, insist that I pay SOME attention to it....afterall; "use it or lose it" the tiny voice in the back of my mind whispers. Even worse; I can look back on some of it and wonder who or how could it ever have come from me — I couldn't do it now with a gun to my head. In addition to that, there is always work. Did I mention only 24hrs in a day and at least 6 of those are used for sleeping. Hmmm....

How do you keep it all balanced? Ooops, I left out God, workout and relatives...my bad. As I was saying...how? Obviously, some things have priority; but after that, it's a dogfight for the remaining time. I had a great time with an old friend who was in need of my presence. It was truly fun. I had forgotten how much we laughed about all the stupid things from before. Of course, the better time you are having, the more time it takes. I do miss having more free time; that's something you kind of lose once you're married and/or have children or become a grown-up.

Life is full of choices and some of them can be tough. Either way, this is a light-hearted blog about days gone by. Old friends know us best. Those are the ones that very few explanations are required. Sometimes you dont even have to talk; they just "get you." "Tiny," one friend I have know since headstart is just such a case. She won't hesitate to call me out on anything. "Don't forget who you are talking to," she might snicker. Of course, chuckles later, we end up recounting some crazy event that, as they say, "is much funnier now." I think old friends help us keep the balance. They remind and restrict us in the same breath. Long live the Ya-Ya's and Tiny too; leave some room for little Franky, D-Style Davis, gym knuckleheads, and anyone else who bears a nickname, pensive as that might require. Most importantly, my beloved Pickle who is friend, wife and lover. As stated by Tiny, "you don't keep anyone without a nickname for long." May the stars always twinkle from afar.

Hmmm....I think I am ready for a "warm vacation" with some reggae and fish....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your old friend is so very thankful for the time stolen away from your love ones to cheer her up. We never have enough time.
love,
one of the yaya's