A Life's Pursuit: Rotting to the Future!

Monday, December 11, 2006

Rotting to the Future!

Incredible Hulk, micheal russell, Bill Bixby changing into Hulk, comics, comic book, superhero





I ran from my past until my future caught up with me. That is a quote running through my head this morning. I don't know if somebody already said it; but surely they have. I will be turning 40 on Wednesday, December 13th and I guess there's not much I can do about that. I remember growing up, looking at "grown folks" who were 40ish or more and thinking, "wow, you're really old. It's almost over for you..." — Yeah, what a kid. I remember thinking that as far back as 8 years old. Soon, if not already, it will be my turn. I will walk through the gates of time, beyond the headstone of youth into "forever was." I am not frightened of the inevitable...let's get it on! That's the great thing about adventure; you have no way to gague what's next...you just have to experience it.


I heard a quote this weekend that set the page for this blog. It goes, "How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?" There's one for a tear in the beer. Sounds kinda funny; but feels much sadder. No, I won't morn 40. In fact, I will watch it come and go like most other days. Birthdays happen only once; everything after that is a "re-enactment".... the celebration of a memory, a minute benchmark on the sands of time on a beach way too big to matter. Sure. You're right. Are you? Is that what you really think? I am blessed with good friends and a great life. That's reality and I can deal with that. Do I own any of the things I had set for 40; no, probably not. I believe in dreaming BIG; that way, if I fall short, I am still doing pretty good. (...speaking of "pretty good;" is there such a thing as "ugly good?" Hmmmm....) They say things change at 30; no more than usual, I discovered. They say things change at 40, I guess I will let you know; but I 'spect it all to be about the same. Will I grow weaker, get more frustrated, watch my skin pull tight into wrinkled crevices, stare in the mirror at a stranger so familiar but foreign in appearance? Hey, again, I will find out when I get there.

green, hulk, face, tear, sadness, birthday


Life is a journey. IF we pick up enough flowers along the way and spend time smelling the beautiful roses; we will reach our destination loaded down with sweet smells and jolly spirits....worse case scenario, they won't have to spend any money on flowers, just use the ones I brought with me. My great-grandfather was a wealth of old stories and "use-ta-bees" and he could spin a yarn as tall as Paul Bunyan. His laugh was as mighty as a thunderstorm. I always loved that about him. His spirit, his energy, his infectious personality. I won't mind being guilty of that.


Sooooo.....here comes 40 with bells and warm socks on. I shall fling wide my arms and greet an old friend. I am certain we have met before. We passed each other back at the beginning.

P.S. Feel free to comment on when you turned 40 and/or your favorite old person and why. (...no blue pill advocates, please....tee hee hee).

3 comments:

Bendy said...

Honey, my 40's have been the best years of my life, and I anticipate my 50's to be even better!

I can't remember my 40th birthday. I believe it was a day like no other. I'm sure I was taken out to dinner or something. I DO remember not feeling "down" about it, but embracing a new chapter of my life.

Linda Russell said...

You know where I was at 40, very immature about the day and very unthankful. Too much focus in my life on what had not happened yet rather than celebrating one more great day surrounded by great people.
I love you more each day. I like the man you growing into. I see glimmers of presence in you that has been honned by time and polished with love.
You have only gotten better

Anonymous said...

Much unlike my other birthdays which I love to celebrate no mater what # they were. I had the mis forturing of being with (married) to someone who did not appreciate my wonderful personality and joy for life and they in returned put a huge damper on my wonderful 40th birthday, but it no longer matters because all the birthday’s to come are going to wonderful! My favoite older person would be my mother. She never grows old and loves life to the fullest.