A Life's Pursuit: Hey, Man, Let Me Hold A Dolla'...

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Hey, Man, Let Me Hold A Dolla'...

friends walking foggy trail


I saw a bum on the street the other day and that's what he said. Relationships take time; good ones take a lot of time. Friends come in all shapes, sizes and lifestyles. I like having friends. They can really come in handy. They say access is better than ownership; and sometimes that is very true. Anyway, when I look back on my closest friends, I can see there is a consistent amount of time or maybe I should say "emotional intimacy" that connects us in addition to just liking being around or conversating with them. Some people just "get" you better than others. You find that your "energy" is more alike. NO, I don't care to have too many friends. A closed private circle with a broader outer perimeter is just fine for me. Yes, I work on some trust issues often.


Anyway, I used to own a truck. [ok...so where is this going already?....be patient, I'll make it worth the work] For you that own or have owned a truck, this is going to make a lot of sense. It's funny how you suddenly have a lot more "friends" when you own a truck. Everybody finds a way to get your phone number and give you a call for a small little favor or two. Really for some people, you don't mind at all. They are "official members" of your friendship club. Now when someone calls that you haven't seen or talked to since forever; it's a little harder to offer that favor. In the immortal words from the Dogpound, "everybody got da cups; but they ain't chipped in..." Why do people expect something for nothing and why would you want something that costs nothing? Why would you want something no one else does? How can a person feel good about asking for someone's help knowing they have done nothing to deserve it? These are the people that only call you when they want something. What's worse; they stall the conversation with irrelevant banter that you know they care nothing about. Sometimes you just break in and say, "so what do you want?" Isn't it terrible when you look at the number and decide "voicemail" or "what is it now?" [oh, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about...]


Helping people is fine; but you know when you have become someone's crutch, their Burger King...whatever they want, they order it their way and you are just a server. Don't you hate it when people take advantage of your good nature, kindness and love? Ultimately, it's a slap in the face! They don't want to be around you; just the stuff you got or you can do...afterall, you're too complicated, too demanding or too judgemental or you might want something back. That's "keeping it real," right? Sorry, God.


I hope God doesn't get hurt feelings. We get too busy to spend time with Him, to read His words, to help others, etc. He's too complicated for my simple life. I got enough problems of my own without adding Him to the mix. Oh, I already committed to a party over there; I don't have time to fellowship or go to church. Explain what, oh just read it yourself, I'm running late. God who? I made this money! I got skills! God, oops....send it to voicemail. What does He want now? When I want Your opinion, I'll give it to you. NO, I don't want your advice, I would rather listen to "jacked-up Johnny," he knows some people who know some really good people with real cash. [ I think you get my drift...] What if God made a movie, "My Super Ex-God-Friend." Now that would be some mighty bad payback! The only way He can get any time now is through a little discomfort, a little tragedy, a bit of loss and a gallon of hard times. He HATES being a vending machine; that's not His gig! I really hope to be a better friend to Him in 2007. I will keep the candles burning.

lizard at desk


1 comment:

Bendy said...

Like you, at times I have been someone's "Burger King." I have rolled my eyes and sent calls to voice mail because I just couldn't or wouldn't deal with another "inconvenience."

What if God did that to us? "Oh no...what does Bendy want this time?" Instead, he opens his arms wide and says "Come unto me."

So, in the coming year, I'm going to try to be more like Him...listen unconditionaly and help out when I can :)