A Life's Pursuit: For The Love of Utah

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

For The Love of Utah




I spent Thursday thru Saturday with my lovely wife in a place I would have assumed was mundane and probably boring. Even from the plane ride, the arial view left me just a bit uninspired with its sparse brown landscape dotted with occassional bodies of water and mountains; but I was at least with her. It was the first time I had not traveled with my doggie, Annie, which I had left with my sister back in Nashville. I had slim expectations at best. I WAS WRONG! We had a great time with my wife's long-time friend and husband in the heart of Utah's many pleasantries. We are most thankful for them sharing their family, home and time with us while we were in town.I had some fantastic carrot fries Friday nite at a restaurant called Red Rock in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City.



We had fabulous fun shopping at one of the nearby ski lodges (no...I don't ski yet). I clearly was ready to relocate as I took in all the sights, sounds and crisp Utah air. I guess my "metrosexual" tendencies really come out in the presence of fine shopping and dining. There was even a great spa nearby; but even better, a groovy quiet martini bar with a bartender that sounded like Val Kilmer. I shot a round of pool as the girls giggled and chatted over their martinis.



Well, as usual, I couldn't leave a shopping district with absolutely nothing. It was easy to make friends and meet new people as I walked along smiling as is my custom. I met this jolly bloke, Ron at his shoppe Dreaming Down Under nestled among many other very nice little establishments....such as The Flat Goat (which I didn't get to fully explore; too many shoppes, so little time.) Anyway, I don't like hats and have never worn a hat. I have spent many years enjoying the feel of a slick, clean and sometimes, ok, often shiny head—why would I cover it up. Nonetheless, I knew as soon as I tried on this Kangaroo leather dome, it was a sure thing. Ron also played the didgeridoos for us as we completed the purchase. The girls argreed; it was a go! It was clear that I could have stayed there all day. It was also clear I did not need to be there much longer. Anyway, we all had dinner at another fine eating place to finish out the night before retiring.


We had a great time visiting. Amist the work we went to accomplish, all the other things that we managed to fit in made it a perfect getaway. My wife and I work well together, as we were acustomed to doing for many years before we ended up at different venues. Its always comforting for me to look back over our history and be resolved and overjoyed that I kept the best decision I ever made; her heart.



Last in line of a string of typical "us" encounters. We met an internationally-known artist while dining. Rodney Wade came over to say hello to us. He is penned as "The Idealist" I had not heard of him before and of course we yacked for a bit before leaving. He and his buddy, an ex-green beret were definitely an odd couple—which is probably why they were drawn to us. Actually I get a lot of mistaken identity seekers when I travel; so maybe that could have been part of it too. Oh well. Either way, Rodney, the art looks great! I wish you continued success.


Alas it was over. Our time had come to get home. Back to the place our peace begins and resides. We went back over the mountains and over the hills and back to Annie.




5 comments:

Bendy said...

Sounds like a great trip! Also, the hat's a go :) Pickle looks great btw.

Linda Russell said...

It was all good!
Still smiling over all the times we laughed together and the new things we were able to see.
You made the trip go from what would have been good to ohhhhh
so great

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!

Sounds like you had a really good time and I agree.. the hat is great. Which one is your wife? They're both beautiful.

Maximus Doom said...

...my beloved "Pickle" is on the right. Yes, they are both funny little cuties.

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)