A Life's Pursuit: Immortal Old Stories Remembered and Retold

Monday, August 07, 2006

Immortal Old Stories Remembered and Retold



I was thinking during my drive into the city about many things; but in particular of how stories survive time. I remember a statistic: The Holy Bible is the #1 stolen book in America. Isn't that odd that something that is against stealing is the one most stolen? Nonetheless, the Bible represents the core of what I am trying to expound on today. "Chrisianity" is a relatively "new" religion compared to most; but the concept of a god-like being uniting with a human female (immaculately of course; except for some angels) to initiate a war between good and evil has been around since the beginning of the ages. This theme of humanity "needing" to worship something obviously is as inate as requiring air. No matter how primative or sophisticated, we all need a god. Even atheist cry "oh god" sooner or later in some situation or another. How bizarre....

Anyway, it was interesting to see the Superman movie also embody some characteristics of the same "Christ" story. Hmmm..... Meanwhile these ramblings are the result of a great sermon I heard Sunday about "Being 'Satisfied' with What God Gave You: Staying Thankful in a Coveting World".



Paul says it here:
I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength? (Philippians 4:11-13).




Of couse, all these things are tall orders; "but all things are possible through Christ Jesus which strengthens me....." The Bible is LOADED with good news! I am looking forward to a thankful week with or without great blessings! (what a dangerous statement...)

1 comment:

Linda Russell said...

Great thankful energy
Great wisdom